Friday, September 4, 2009

Picky eaters? Care to watch them slurp down a whole bowl of vegetables?

I have 2 sons, ages 6 and 3. My older son is a terribly picky eater and his little brother is rapidly following in his footsteps. I try to feed them a nice balance of healthy foods with a few treats thrown in here and there. When life gets busy sometimes I notice that a few days will go by where they haven't eaten anything much healthier than the tomato sauce on a slice of pizza. That's when it's time for Mom to take action. I make a soup that any adult would crave, that anyone would happily pay for at a restaurant. It involves no skill whatsoever, is delicious and rich, and is chock full of vegetables. My sons call it Mommy's Magic Soup because they swear when they eat it they can run faster, jump higher, and shout louder (I can live without that last one). Check out my recipe for the secrets and watch your kids wolf down a couple bowls of pure vegetables. You'll sleep better knowing their little bodies are full of all that good healthy stuff! Here's a link to my recipe:

How to Make a Healthy Vegetable Soup Your Picky Kids Will Eat

If you think your picky eater will never fall for this ruse, try adding larger noodles and a lot of them. I made this once and I added two cups of navy beans just to make it even better for the kids, but it was a little "beany" and I wasn't sure they would eat it. I decided to add a couple handfuls of elbow noodles and they totally went for it! My younger son Jack, who was 2 1/2 at the time, literally sat there quietly and ate 3 bowls of the stuff. There's a good basic principle: when in doubt, add more noodles.

Another great tweak, especially if you decide to add cabbage or beans, is to put a piece of the rind of parmiggiano reggiano cheese in the pot while it cooks and let the flavor blend right in. You don't throw those rinds away do you? Just throw them in a zipper freezer bag and use 'em as you need 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment