Saturday, September 12, 2009

Authentic Piperade from French Basque country

Oh this one is so good I can hardly write about it without my mouth watering. It's about 1:00 am and I am fighting the urge to run down to the kitchen and start cracking some eggs and cutting up some veggies!! Piperade is a delightful dish that is very popular in the French Basque region. It is basically vegetables and eggs but it is decidedly NOT am omelet. My mom knows how much I love this dish so she made it for dinner one night when I was visiting and told me the dinner - meant for the two of us - contained 2 eggs. I thought, great, there's a hearty meal. But with a little green salad and a piece of bread it really was a fulfilling meal.

With economic times being what they are, I am always on the hunt for meals that are budget-conscious but still pack a nutritious punch. When you're pinching pennies it's so easy to fall into the trap of pasta, rice, ground beef and other foods that are less expensive. I absolutely love to use eggs as a main course (as evidenced by my quiche recipe in a prior post) and in this dish, with all the lovely vegetables mixed in, I know I am eating right too.

Please check out my recipe: http://www.ehow.com/how_5270855_make-piperade-french-basque-country.html

No comments:

Post a Comment